The 15 minute rule: One rule your family will love following

July 5, 2017

Spending time with our kids is a big priority for the KABRITA team, but as busy parents, we know it can be tough to carve out great swathes of dedicated kid-time. The good news is, we know from experience you don’t need a huge block of time to make a big difference to your little one’s happiness (and to yours!).

Whether it’s first thing in the morning, or the minute you walk in the door at the end of a long day, we like to observe the 15 minute rule: a solid bit of time (it doesn’t actually have to be a full 15 minutes) we devote to our little ones before addressing any “grown-up” concerns.
“Getting a two year old ready and both of us out the door in the morning can require military precision,” says KABRITA PR Manager Kali Pearson. “But weirdly, the mornings I take a few minutes to hang out with Jack first thing, reading a book or playing race cars before I start running around, are the ones that go the most smoothly for both of us.”
Co-founder and CEO Carolyn Ansley’s applies the 15 minute rule at the end of her day. “It took me time to realize (time I wish I could get back), that the best way to re-engage with my kids at the end of a work day was totally. Simply focussing on my children for 15 minutes helped dissolve both my daily frustrations and theirs, and this time provided my kids with the much needed attention and love they had been waiting for. After hugs, kisses, stories and whatever else my children needed they would go about their play and I could continue with the practical demands of the evening.”

Here’s how to make the most of even a little bit of time with your little one.

Turn off and tune in

When you walk in the door, let your little one know they have your undivided attention by making a show of putting down everything work-related, including your purse, brief case and especially any devices connected to your email. Then go for a walk, catch a ball outside, or sit down and play a game. You don’t need to dream up complicated activities to have fun and connect.

Check your attitude

It’s not just your physical baggage you need to put down, it’s your emotional baggage, too. A tough day is hard to leave behind, but making a conscious mental note to shift your attitude no matter what the day has thrown you is important. Psychology Today reports that children can pick up on and mirror the mood of their stressed-out parents within minutes.

Body language

Only 20% of the communication we have with our kids is verbal, with the remaining 80% coming from body language. Toddlers often pick up on facial expressions and posture more than words. So uncross your arms, put on a smile and make your little one feel valued (you’ll boost your own mood, too!).

Give yourself a break

Juggling family fun and adult responsibilities is tough for anyone, so if you can’t put in a full 15 minutes every day, or can’t manage to clear your mind and jump in with gusto, don’t worry. Even just sitting near your little one as they do their own thing will make a difference.
Quality time with your little one doesn’t have to be complicated, or take long. But a bit of undivided attention will make a huge difference in their day – and yours, too!

Other posts

January 17, 2020 Blog Goats’ milk is generally easier to digest

January 17, 2020 Blog Real Mom Story

February 28, 2018 Blog #GoatMilkTart Marshmallows Recipe

December 11, 2017 Blog Yummy Granola Bars

September 14, 2017 Blog Sugar Focus

September 5, 2017 Blog Energizing Blueberry Smoothie

August 21, 2017 Blog Citrus Berry Smoothie

August 16, 2017 Blog Understanding non-GMO labelling

July 31, 2017 Blog Baby’s first foods: preventing food allergies

July 31, 2017 Blog Baby’s first foods: timing and reactions

July 26, 2017 Blog Summer Bodies are made in Winter

July 25, 2017 Blog Sunlight in your Food

July 5, 2017 Blog Spinach and Potato Frittata recipe

July 5, 2017 Blog The 15 minute rule: One rule your family will love following

July 3, 2017 Blog “SIX GREAT REASONS”

June 27, 2017 Blog Bobotie

May 31, 2017 Blog Goatie Goodness Rusks

May 19, 2017 Blog Warming & Healing Hot Chocolate

April 18, 2017 Blog Energy Balls

February 15, 2017 Blog Meet the goats & farmers of the Veldman Farm

February 13, 2017 Blog Dark Chocolate Pops

February 9, 2017 Blog Rooibos Peach Smoothie

February 6, 2017 Nutrition & Health goatie goodness

January 20, 2017 Blog Yummy Granola Bars

January 10, 2017 Blog Behind the Label Lecithin

December 14, 2016 Blog Tips for difficult eaters

December 14, 2016 Blog Facts about breastfeeding

December 5, 2014 Blog Playful learning

December 4, 2014 Blog Tips for moms to lose weight

December 3, 2014 News Kabrita rocks the world

December 2, 2014 News New packaging for Kabrita long life goat milk

December 1, 2014 News Kabrita goat milk yoghurt and fruit is coming to Europe!