For the marshmallows:
• 2½ tablespoons powdered gelatine
• 6 tablespoons cold water (for gelatine)
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 tablespoons golden syrup
• 1 cup cold water (for sugar syrup)
• 2 large egg whites
• pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 tablespoons Kabrita
• 2 tablespoons custard powder
• 5 heaped tablespoons corn flour
• 5 heaped tablespoons icing sugar
• cinnamon for dusting
• For the biscuits:
• 1¼ cup cake flour
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda (bicarb)
• pinch of salt
• 115 g butter
• ¼ cup sugar
• ½ cup light brown sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• ½ cup sugar mixed with 2½ tablespoons cinnamon
(1) Make the marshmallows first:
• Add 6 tablespoons of water to a small bowl and sprinkle over the gelatine. Set aside.
• Pour the sugar into a medium-sized saucepan. Add the golden syrup and 1 cup of water.
• Place the saucepan over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil and continue to cook steadily until the syrup reaches 120°C on a sugar thermometre.
• Remove from the heat and add the sponged gelatine. Stir until thoroughly combined and the gelatine has melted.
• Place the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
• Add a pinch of salt and whisk until the whites form a stiff peak. Add the vanilla and whisk until combined. Carefully add the hot gelatine syrup in a steady stream while whisking.
• Continue to whisk while you mix the Kabrita and custard powder with just enough cold water to create a paste.
• Carefully add that to the mix while still mixing. Whisk for 7 minutes.
• Spray 8 – 10 x 10 cm loose bottom mini quiches pans with an oil spray.
• Sift the corn flour and icing sugar together and dust the pans with it.
• Spoon the marshmallow mix into the pans. Use a palette knife to smoothen the surfaces and let it stand for 2 hours to set.
• After setting, carefully remove the marshmallows from the pans and dust with the remaining icing sugar and cornflour mix. Keep aside.
For the biscuits:
Preheat the oven to 180°C
• In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt.
• In a huge bowl, beat the butter, white and brown sugars until well combined.
• Add the egg and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
• Stir in the sifted ingredients and mix well.
• Shape the dough into a round log of about 8 cm in diametre.
• Roll it as round as possible, keeping in mind that these will form the base for your ‘milk tart’.
• Cover in cling wrap and refrigerate or freeze until firm. Unwrap the log.
• Pour the cinnamon-sugar mix onto your work surface and roll until the log is completely covered.
• Slice the dough with a sharp knife into slices of about ½ cm thick. Place the circles about 2,5 cm apart on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
• Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 12 – 15 minutes or until golden.
• Let it cool on the tray for 10 minutes and carefully place each biscuit on a wire rack.
• Place a marshmallow on top of each biscuit while the biscuit is still warm enough to slightly melt the bottom of the marshmallow so that it will cling to the biscuit.
• Sprinkle the tops of the marshmallows with cinnamon and leave to cool down completely. Enjoy!
December 11, 2017 Blog Yummy Granola Bars
September 14, 2017 Blog Sugar Focus
September 5, 2017 Blog Energizing Blueberry Smoothie
August 21, 2017 Blog Citrus Berry Smoothie
August 16, 2017 Blog Understanding non-GMO labelling
July 31, 2017 Blog Baby’s first foods: preventing food allergies
July 31, 2017 Blog Baby’s first foods: timing and reactions
July 26, 2017 Blog Summer Bodies are made in Winter
July 25, 2017 Blog Sunlight in your Food
July 5, 2017 Blog Spinach and Potato Frittata recipe
July 5, 2017 Blog The 15 minute rule: One rule your family will love following
July 3, 2017 Blog “SIX GREAT REASONS”
June 27, 2017 Blog Bobotie
May 31, 2017 Blog Goatie Goodness Rusks
May 19, 2017 Blog Warming & Healing Hot Chocolate
April 18, 2017 Blog Energy Balls
February 15, 2017 Blog Meet the goats & farmers of the Veldman Farm
February 13, 2017 Blog Dark Chocolate Pops
February 9, 2017 Blog Rooibos Peach Smoothie
February 6, 2017 Nutrition & Health goatie goodness
January 20, 2017 Blog Yummy Granola Bars
January 10, 2017 Blog Behind the Label Lecithin
December 14, 2016 Blog Tips for difficult eaters
December 14, 2016 Blog Facts about breastfeeding
December 5, 2014 Blog Playful learning
December 4, 2014 Blog Tips for moms to lose weight
December 3, 2014 News Kabrita rocks the world
December 2, 2014 News New packaging for Kabrita long life goat milk
December 1, 2014 News Kabrita goat milk yoghurt and fruit is coming to Europe!